A Healthy Mouth Start for Your Kids with Pediatric Dental Care
At Albrecht Family Dentistry in West Bend, Wisconsin, we believe preventative pediatric dental care is the foundation for a healthy, beautiful smile. Beginning with a child’s first visit to our practice, we provide families with the right tools to establish long-lasting habits that promote oral health. Through services such as comprehensive exams and cleanings, x-rays, dental sealants, and fluoride treatments, we can help prevent many of the most common dental problems in kids.
What is preventative care?
Much like the name suggests, preventative dentistry is services and education designed to prevent common dental issues. Preventive pediatric care is often a collaboration between the dental team, the patient, and the parents to promote oral health. Here are some of the services we offer to help our youngest patients enjoy a healthy smile:
- Dental Cleanings – We recommend bringing your child in every six months for regular dental cleanings to keep their teeth cavity-free and gums healthy. During children’s dental cleanings, we will remove plaque and tartar from the teeth, followed by tooth polishing to remove stains.
- Fluoride – When appropriate, fluoride treatment can help strengthen teeth and prevent decay. It’s 100% safe for children and is highly effective, even in small amounts.
- Sealants – Dental sealants are a proven way to maintain oral health. The thin coating of sealant is applied to the surface of the teeth to prevent plaque buildup in the difficult to clean grooves.
The importance of preventative dentistry for kids
Tooth decay can affect anyone at any age, so it’s essential to be proactive about oral health from an early age. Cavity prevention in our youngest patients is the best way to establish good dental care habits.
When food is left on the teeth, bacteria found naturally in the mouth will feed on the particles, turning them into an acid that contributes to the production and accumulation of plaque. The acids in the plaque will erode the tooth enamel, leading to the development of cavities.
Preventative care at home
Some things you can do at home to prevent decay:
- Don’t put your baby to sleep with a bottle containing juice or milk.
- Begin cleaning your child’s teeth and gums with a washcloth until teeth appear.
- Supervise brushing until your child is around six years old
To request a dental check-up for your child, call Albrecht Family Dentistry in West Bend, WI, at (262) 357-6622.