Albrecht Dentistry in West Bend, Wisconsin, specializes in smiles because smiles are essential on so many levels. A sparkling smile not only looks great but also boosts your confidence to flourish in your personal, career, and social life.
Dr. James (Jim) Albrecht and his team always emphasize optimal oral hygiene so your smile looks great and functions at its absolute best. While healthy teeth are the stars of a stunning smile, we also encourage diligent oral hygiene to ensure your entire smile is based on a healthy foundation.
Tips for healthy, beautiful gums
Many people spend much time on the aesthetics of their teeth, only to forget about their gum health. Your gums are as important as your teeth. Healthy gums hold your teeth in place and cushion them from infections and other irritants.
Observe the practical tips below to keep your gums in great shape:
- Brush your teeth daily: Brush your teeth at least twice daily – in the morning and at night, for at least two minutes using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Be thorough with brushing but do it gently to avoid enamel erosion and receding gums
- Floss daily: Make flossing a daily ritual — ideally before bedtime — to remove food debris and plaque from hard-to-reach areas in the mouth. If you consider flossing a tedious chore, remember that it targets approximately 40% of the teeth spaces that elude your toothbrush’s reach. These missed spots can harbor bacteria that lead to gum infection
- Consider an anti-bacterial mouthwash: An oral rinse with antimicrobial agents is a great way to remove harmful bacteria from your mouth. We recommend alcohol-free oral rinses to avoid mouth dryness that puts you at risk of gum disease
- Avoid smoking: Smoking is bad for oral health in many ways. Tobacco products cause bad breath, tooth discoloration and increase the risk of oral cancer. Furthermore, smoking suppresses your immunity and causes mouth dryness, which makes you vulnerable to gum infections
- Routine dental check-ups: Gum health care is never complete without the help of a dentist. Regular exams allow the dentist to examine your teeth and gums for potential problems while they are less invasive to treat
While observing the above tips can keep gum disease in check, this insidious infection can still find its way into your smile. Our dental team uses non-surgical deep teeth cleaning to keep your gums infection-free.
Learn more about gum health!
Need more tips about keeping your gums healthy and overcoming gum disease? Please call (262) 357-6622 to make Albrecht Dentistry your go-to dental office for all your gum health solutions.
We are strategically located in West Bend, Wisconsin, and serve the surrounding locations.
Share this Article