A healthy, beautiful smile is invaluable. It enhances your confidence, leaves a memorable first impression, and opens doors you never imagined. Achieving and maintaining healthy teeth and gums is not a complex task — it simply requires following the best practices for oral hygiene. Albrecht Dentistry in West Bend, Wisconsin, has healthy tips to keep your smile healthy and looking its best.
Tips for healthy teeth and gums
A healthy mouth not only looks great but also feels great. Good oral health means the absence of cavities, decay, gum disease, and other oral health problems that can be a source of pain and embarrassment. But what does it take to have good oral health? Dr. James Albrecht has the answer.
- Brush your teeth: Every day, for your entire life, brush your teeth at least twice with fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Brushing eliminates food particles and harmful bacteria from your mouth to prevent cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Flossing: Brushing teeth is great, but your toothbrush can’t reach all areas in the mouth, especially between teeth. Flossing removes food debris from areas the toothbrush can’t reach. We recommend flossing at least once daily, but doing it more often won’t hurt.
- Healthy diet: Good nutrition isn’t only good for your body — it’s integral to your gum and teeth health. Limit the intake of sugary foods to stave off harmful bacteria. Keep your mouth hydrated to eliminate mouth dryness that can attract gum disease and cavities. Also, consider fruits, veggies, and calcium-rich foods for healthy teeth and gums.
- Avoid smoking: Tobacco use introduces many problems to your smile, including gum disease, bad breath, tooth discoloration, and oral cancer. Smoking also reduces your healing rate after injury. Stay away from smoking, and if you have trouble quitting, please talk to your doctor.
- See your dentist semi-annually: We recommend you visit a dentist at least twice annually for routine exams and cleanings. Oral exams detect and treat oral issues before they advance and become challenging to treat. Dental cleanings remove plaque and tartar to prevent cavities, gum disease, and other oral problems.
Our office is committed to ensuring you and your family enjoy optimal oral health. We offer regular dental check-ups, cleanings, and other preventive dental care services to keep your smile healthy. Please call (262) 357-6622 to schedule an appointment with Dr. James Albrecht.
Share this Article